Thursday, June 11, 2009

From Berwick to Thorntonloch

35 miles (56km)

We got into Scotland!


Me: in Scotland. Behind me: not in Scotland.

This was very exciting. But then there were hills. Who said there could be hills again? Also, with less wind there were more insects. Unpleasant.

We went via bits of the coast, and via bits inland. We took a detour to Coldingham and St Abbs, as recommended by our hosts in Berwick, and it is indeed a lovely little bit of the Scottish coastline.



St Abbs

Towards the end of the day, we saw some more Scottish coastline:



This is Pease Bay. Delightful little inlet, stunning cliffs, a nice enough beach... and holiday homes, cheek by jowl.

We stayed at Thorntonloch House overnight; seems like quite a new B&B; we got a huge room. It had the most awesomely powerful shower I've ever stood under, maybe because we were right next door to a nuclear power station.

1 comments:

Kat said...

I *do* love the Scottish coastline. I think my train trip from Edinburgh to Donnington was one of the loveliest parts of my trip. *Commence daydream sequence*