Saturday, June 13, 2009

A few photos to spruce up the page



For Kate: the front of the Georgian terrace that won our hearts. I would like to have an apartment like this one (on the inside and the outside) when I grow up



The top of the Walter Scott monument. Somewhere, Banjo is muttering: "where the hell's MY spire?"



The Lewis Chessmen. A millennium on, folks, and don't they look wonderful?

We didn't do as much of actual Edinburgh 'stuff' as I had expected, mostly because as James said the touristy stuff was mighty expensive and just that - touristy. The Royal Mile: how much cashmere, tartan, and whiskey - in varying combinations - can one street sell?? Also, having spoken to my sister and James' cousin, I suspect Edinburgh is a city you fall in love with by living there. It's the quirky bookshops (like the photographic book one James discovered), the cafes, the festivals, the walking paths along rivers and 'waters' - it's the ambience, the vibe of the thing, that people really love about the place. I could tell that in a couple of days. However, I'm not sure I could handle the crowds every day...

4 comments:

Gina said...

Mmmm, cashmere tartan and whisky, together at last...
Hey you guys have been gone over a month! What's with that? Are you coming home now? We need you to bring over some brewki.

Anonymous said...

Nice!
If I can't have a castle/palace/abbey/cathedral/semi-tropical island or piratic lair, that would do quite well.

Kat said...

And what ELSE did you do? Surely you didn't spend 3 days in Edinburgh and see only the museum and the botanic garden... What about that big itinerary I put together for you?

Alexandra said...

Gina: a month - crazy isn't it?? Can't quite believe we're only a bit over 1/5 of the way through...

Kate: it is indeed a suitable substitute.

Kat: erm. Decided against the Kat Tour... although we did go past a Thistle near St James Shopping - is that your Thistle??