Thursday, May 28, 2009

and so to Durham

Hurrah, Durham!

31 miles (50km)

A fairly average day today. The first few miles were a bit tough, but then eventually we turned out of the wind (HOORAH). We followed the moor, again, for a while...



and then got back to arable country. We also went through quite a nice forest!



We had something of a competition through the forest: James confessed he had a song from Bedknobs and Broomsticks in his head (no idea why). I met this with "Oh it's a lovely day when you're with Maaaaaaaaaaary...". James promptly saw that and raised with "Achey Breaky Heart." I daringly went with "Mmmm Bop" ... ultimately I think we were both losers.

And then, mid-afternoon, we arrived in Durham. We went to Evensong at the cathedral, which was just brilliant.

Had Mexican for dinner (I don't think it was a chain) and now just chilling in our room. Looking forward to seeing more of this delightful town tomorrow - especially if the weather stays as good as it was today, which was lovely.

Also, yesterday we passed the 500km mark.

3 comments:

Justin Denholm said...

Be grateful for the songs that are not yet in your heads... I have had various Wiggles medleys floating around for days now!

By the way, William met Jeff - shook his hand and everything! He's very proud!

kimwyles said...

"ultimately I think we were both losers"

that left ME with NO WHERE TO GO ... how unfair.

Alexandra said...

Kim, it was you I had in mind when I wrote that line, brother mine.

Justin, Wiggles totally makes you the biggest loser ;]